Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Note on House, M.D.


After a truly excellent epidsode of House last night, Allen and I got suckered into watching a bit of Fox News because there was a Hugh Laurie teaser during the commercial. I expected the whole "Gee whiz, can you believe this guy is British???" thing, but the only other body of work they credited him with was freaking Stuart Goddamn Little, and though I did love the book as a child, and I'm sure Mr. Laurie is excellent in all these films, I was STUNNED that this was the only think that the newscaster mentioned. I mean, I understand that all of us ignorant Americans may not be aware of his brilliance in the Jeeves and Wooster series, as it ran on PBS, a channel that most people seem to think is only there for pledge drives and Antiques Roadshow. And I'm sure that, sadly, most of us are unaware of his brilliant sketch comedy in A Bit of Fry and Laurie, not to mention several runs on Black Adder, but come on! He's been in other feature films! OK, most of them are children's movies. And character roles. In Britain. FINE! I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!

All I'm saying is that they acted like the guy just showed up on the scene, and wasn't he just PRECIOUS with his little British accent. Which was obnoxious.

I was a little saddened when I read in his imdb profile that Douglas Adams had orignally wanted him to play Arthur Dent. That would have been bloody brilliant.

No comments: