Friday, September 23, 2005

The Moment You've All Been Waiting For......

Well, not really, but I did get several inquiries as to what my news is.

Most of you know or know of my little brother Ivan. Ivan is 20 and a cook at a local restaurant. He's a great guy, very sweet, and I love him to pieces. He lived with Allen and I for a while when he was in between apartments, and all I can say is that he was the best roommate I have ever had. (Of course, if you look at my roommate history, that might not be saying much).

We have been close ever since he was a baby, and he's always been the one family member I felt like I could count on to be "normal". Generally I don't approve of normalcy, per se, valuing instead the quirkiness in others, but in my family, normalcy is in short supply.

Why am I telling you all this? Simply because Ivan totally dropped a bomb on me two nights ago.

Ivan asked Allen and I to pick him up after work (midnight, mind you) because he wanted to see us before we left for our trip to Seattle (Saturday). I thought it a bit odd, but as he had been incommunicado for the past month because he couldn't afford minutes on his damn TRACK PHONE, I had no idea what his deal was.

Turns out he met a girl. (I think really, when you get down to it, 90% of stories start this way)

They've been dating for about a week.

At the end of said week, they tried to get MARRIED but couldn't because the paperwork caused them a problem.

HE BOUGHT RINGS. They've been wearing them around.

Anyway, I felt like I had been punched swiftly in the stomach when I found out that not only did my baby brother almost get married without fucking telling me, but to someone I hadn't even met, and that he had known for such a short time. WTF.

Apparently, he'd been aquainted with her already, so though they've only been dating for a week he had "hung out with her a couple of times before".

THAT made me feel MUCH BETTER.

That was SARCASM just in case you aren't sure.

I think he was a little hurt that I wasn't all excited for him, but I certainly didn't say something like "You're making a huge mistake!!", even though that's what I was thinking.

I just kept asking him WHY??? He just kept answering that he loves her and wants to spend the rest of his life with her, in a "duh" manner. Then later, he privately told me that he felt broken, because he had been with all these girls and just didn't feel anything for them, but this one, he couldn't stop feeling all gooey inside.

I just feel so WEIRD about this whole thing. Now they are apparently holding off on their nuptial plans, but I don't know for how long. I asked him if I could please be involved in some way next time, like, could I come? Or, at least know about it in advance? And he said "of course", but it doesn't really make me feel any better. In fact, I feel like I swallowed a bowling ball.

As my friend Ian would say, isn't it fun having a CIRCUS family!!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ on a bike! I don't know what to say. I'm dumbfounded. I think you should write a book about your family, kinda Running with Scissors without the poop, homosexuallity and predicting the future with a bible.

Anonymous said...

heya dude. wow. stunned. Ivan was the "normal" one and by normal I mean is funny and plays video games and doesn't touch my hair.

Tell him he's not allowed to get married until after you do because dammit you've earned that right. Minus the sister whose name I don't know so I am not counting her.

And bates is right. Your family history is nuts and deserves to be written down, if for no other reason than for your grandkids to know when and why Grammie Angela went to the mental hospital.

Hope Seattle was fun and hope you got to see Sam!